Bellandur is home to the Bellandur Lake that was built during the reign of the Western Ganga dynasty in the 10th century CE. Historical artifacts excavated along the bed of the Bellandur lake shows evidences of early human settlement in the region. Dolmens, standing stones, stone circles, tools and other artifacts tracing their origin to the Megalithic Period have been discovered in Bellandur. Another excavation carried out by historian D.R. Gordon in 1945 unearthed ancient Roman coins in the region.
During the reign of the Chola dynasty in the 11th century CE, Bellandur was called Vikrama Chola Mandala. Tamil inscriptions from Cholas have been found at Kammasandra near Bidarahalli. Inscriptions from the earlier Ganga Dynasty can also be found at the hero stone (veeragallu) of King Shri Purusha.
Bellandur is bounded by HSR Layout to the west, Devarabisanahalli to the east, Sarjapur Road to the south, and the Bellandur Lake to the north. The Bellandur Lake is the largest lake in Bangalore, and separates Bellandur from the HAL Airport. The Outer Ring Road passes through Bellandur, making the area an important transit point between east and south Bangalore.
Initially a rural area, Bellandur has recently experienced a sharp rise in population and real estate development as a result of Bangalore's information technology (IT) boom. Although most of Bellandur's housing contains modern facilities, the suburb faces challenges such as water shortage, heavy traffic, and poor drainage which has resulted in severe pollution of Bellandur Lake. The Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) has constructed several borewells in Bellandur in attempt to mitigate the water shortage.
© 2015 Nandu Associates. All rights reserved | Design by Arindam's